I have been compensated by Glucerna for this post; however, I am sharing my own thoughts. All opinions are my own. Talk to your healthcare provider about a diabetes management plan that is right for you. #GlucernaHungerSmart #CollectiveBias
Do you ever feel confused by all the different diets out there? As a Registered Dietitian I am excited to be a resource for clarity with an encouraging and “real-life” voice to helping you better understand your health. Did you know there is benefit to eating a consistent carbohydrate diet? Yes there is! I look forward to sharing my personal health journey, a few simple recipes and an awesome tool that can make healthy eating simpler!
My personal “why” for eating a carbohydrate consistent diet started 5 years ago. When I was pregnant with my second beautiful boy I experienced Gestational Diabetes (GDM). GDM develops in pregnancy when a woman’s body cannot keep up with insulin production demands on her body during pregnancy as her baby is growing and her hormones are changing. I worked out regularly and ate healthy yet my blood sugar levels were elevated. Discouragement and frustration were a few feelings I felt initially.
Sign up today to receive the very best tips and tricks for the simple life!
Join our email list today for exclusive subscriber content and the very best from Stefanie!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
After I allowed myself a day to throw a pity party, I initiated the consistent and controlled carbohydrate diet I had taught to my patients through the years as a Registered Dietitian. With exercise and proper carbohydrate intake I was able to have a healthy pregnancy and baby. Luckily, like most mothers with GDM, once my hormones went back to normal post-delivery my blood glucose levels normalized. Today I follow a consistent carbohydrate eating regimen for Diabetes prevention because I know due to my prior GDM I have an increased chance of developing Diabetes later in life.
Prevention is key!
For those of you who have not experienced Diabetes in your life there are MANY benefits to eating a carbohydrate consistent diet. Let me share why!
The Benefits of Eating a Carbohydrate Consistent Diet
- Offers consistent energy throughout the day that promotes healthy blood sugar levels.
- Can help to manage weight and attain/maintain a healthy body weight.
- Encourages balanced eating when paired with other macro nutrients appropriately. (For further instruction on this follow me on my Facebook fan page and view my 6 week live video series on self care through nutrition. If you find you would like more one on one assistance email me for consulting fees and packages.)
- With understanding of proper carbohydrate intake, portion control is a natural benefit to meal choices.
- Improved blood glucose control for the Diabetics and a reduced risk of development for those at risk such as myself.
Recipes to Encourage Consistent Carbohydrate Eating:
Tropical Peanut Butter Pinwheels
- Low carb tortilla (15 grams carbohydrates per tortilla)
- 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
- 1/2 diced banana
- Sprinkle of dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- Place peanut butter and banana in tortilla and roll up.
- Cut in 1 inch sections and sprinkle with dried unsweetened coconut flakes.
~36 grams carbs (2 carb servings), 10 grams protein (1.5 protein servings)
Simple Homemade Hummus
This recipe is a perfect balance of complex carbohydrates and vegetable source protein. When served with vegetables a half cup is ~ 25 g of carbohydrates (2 servings) and 8 grams of protein (1 serving). For full recipe click here.
Before I share my last recipe, I must note that there are very useful tools for managing blood sugar levels and your weight. Diabetes and even plain ol’ hunger need help! Meal replacements and supplements such as Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ are one of my favorite tools for nutritional success because they are simple and efficient. Glucerna Hunger Smart Shakes are a delicious way to follow the healthy eating regimen you desire. Each shake offers a CARBSTEADY® solution to your blood sugar and hunger needs offering 15 grams of protein, 15 grams of carbohydrates (one serving/choice), a good source of fiber and 25 vitamins ad minerals to offer a wonderful complement to your diet. Glucerna Hunger Smart Shakes have more protein and less sugar than other shakes and supplements. This is what promotes better satiety which encourages healthy weight management. Glucerna also contains CarbSteady which allows the carbohydrates to be released more slowly into the bloodstream, promoting well managed blood sugar levels. This product can be used in between meals or in replacement of a meal paired with one of the snack recipes I have shared.
My last recipe is a simple homemade topping that adds a touch of crunch and is to be used sparingly.
Homemade Low Carb Granola
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3-1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar Stevia
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- A few pinches of craisins (optional, may avoid if Diabetic)
- Combine oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar Stevia product.
- Combine maple syrup, oil and salt in another bowl.
- Combine mixtures and pour onto lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 250 degrees.
- Stir every 15-30 minutes for even cooking and coloring.
- Remove from oven and place in bowl with optional sprinkled craisins.
1/4 cup granola placed over a 1/2 cup of berries and 4 oz of light yogurt is ~ 25-30 g carbohydrates (2 servings) and 7 g protein (1 serving).
There you have it friends! Benefits to eating a consistent carbohydrate diet, a few healthy recipes and an amazing tool for weight and blood sugar management. Please, especially if you have Diabetes, use the product mentioned under medical supervision. Dovidenia. XO
P. S. If this article has encouraged you to try Glucerna’s new product it can be find at your local Walmart near the Pharmacy. Buy any 2 large packs of Glucerna and get up to $3 off.