Snacking is one of my favorite things to do. Snacking is a healthy habit when done moderately with healthy choices. My Simple Homemade Hummus is a quick recipe that is a perfect addition to a healthy lifestyle. What I like about hummus is even my kids enjoy it. Let’s dig in and learn more about the benefits of hummus as a snack.
Hummus is made of chickpeas which is part of the legume family. Chickpeas offer complex carbohydrates which are a wonderful source of energy. Chickpeas has about 4.5 grams of fiber, 17 g carbohydrates and 5 grams protein per 1/2 cup. They are wonderful for promoting a healthy digestive track and heart. Chickpeas offer a balance of carbohydrates and vegetable protein making a wonderful balanced snack.
Simple Homemade Hummus Ingredients
- 1/4- 1/3 c fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 c store bought tahini
- Half of a large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- Dash of paprika upon serving
- In food processor, combine tahini and lemon juice. Process for 90 seconds.
- Add olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and salt. Process for 1 minute.
- Open can of chickpeas and rinse in a strainer.
- Add half the can of chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute.
- Add remainder of chickpeas and process for 1-2 minutes.
- To smooth out lumps add the water and blend until smooth.
There you have it friends! Enjoy this with veggie sticks if you are watching your carbohydrate intake or pita bread if you are not. Hummus can be a great spread on sandwiches and wraps as well! Cheers to health and snacking. Dovidenia. XO
PS – Thank you Inspired Health for inspiring this yummy recipe!