Autumn is my most favorite season. It brings forth a nostalgic hunger to create and live out simple and sweet family traditions. These Simple Popcorn Balls have been a seasonal tradition of mine since my college days. I am so excited to share these with you.
This post includes affiliate links.
This simple recipe has been loved by young and old and now being a mother it has become such a joy to make. My children love these and have fun helping in the creation of these goodies.
2 bags of kettle corn
1 bag of marshmallows
10-15 unwrapped caramels Caramel Squares 5lb
1/3 stick of butter or more as needed to prevent sticking
1. Pour half of your marshmallows and caramels in a nonstick skillet (This is a skillet that I love.The Stone Earth Pan by Ozeri, with 100% PFOA-Free Stone-Derived Non-Stick Coating from Germany /affiliate link) with butter. Stir butter all over bottom of pan to coat the mixture. Cook over very low heat.
2. Slowly mix and add in the remaining marshmallows and caramel.
3. Pop your popcorn per bag instructions.
4. Using two bowls, such as this Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set, sift with your hands the popcorn from one bowl to the other as a way to eliminate un-popped kernels. ( I broke a tooth one year from the novice mistake of not doing this!)
5. Your marshmallow caramel mixture on very low heat should now resemble a creamy sweet mixture as pictured. Continue to mix gently until the caramel is dispersed evenly.
6. Pour mixture over your bowl of sifted popcorn and allow to cool.
7. Mix the hot marshmallow mixture with the popcorn in the bowl. Once mixture is distributed evenly allow to cool until it is only warm to the touch.
8. Use a drop of olive oil to oil your hands, then dig in forming fun Simple Popcorn Balls. You may need to oil your hands regularly until all balls are formed.
Enjoy and savor these simple popcorn balls while creating beautiful memories with the ones you love! Happy Autumn my friends, much sweet gooey love! Dovidenia. XO