I have a recipe that is one of my family’s favorites I have been wanting to share for a long time. I usually make it on the stove top in a skillet but just simplified it more by throwing it in a crock pot. My Crock Pot Taco Skillet will be the easiest family favorite meal you have ever made!
I think most moms feel a sense of accomplishment when they can put together a nice meal amidst the chaos of kids and commitments! This Taco Skillet has been a favorite of my husbands before kids and now because of it’s traditional flavors the kids love it too! What the Dietitian part of me loves is the way I can sneak in a lot of nutritious produce into my family.
Taco Skillet Ingredients
- fresh produce of your liking in the amount you choose, I used 1 corn on the cob, 1/4 cup diced sweet onions and 1/2 cup diced sweet bell peppers
- 2 large burrito size flour tortillas or 4 taco shells
- 1 can of tomato soup
- 1-2 cups of mild salsa ( portion amount is to your taste preference)
- 1/2 – 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- a few pinches of cilantro for garnishing
- sour-cream as a garnish (optional)
- 1 small package of hamburger (I use our own Angus ground beef.)
- Turn crock pot on low.
- Add salsa, diced vegetables, tomato soup to crock pot.
- Meanwhile, cook ground beef. Once cooked, strain any excess grease and add cooked meat to crock pot.
- Cut up tortillas into squares and mix into the crock pot.
- Lastly top with shredded cheese and sprinkle cilantro on top. Cover with the lid.
- I find in about 2-4 hours my meal is ready. If you are not wanting to wait to eat, you may cook this right on the stove top in a pan as well.
Enjoy one of the simplest meals you have ever made with this Crock Pot Taco Skillet full of nutrient balance and healthy vitamins! Dovidenia.