This is the best Oriental Chicken Salad Recipe! It’s so delicious, you’ll think Applebee’s delivered it to you! It’s so simple and quick to make and have a great salad everyone will love. The homemade dressing is a sweet, the salad is cool and crunchy and the chicken just melts in your mouth. The perfect blend of tastes and textures!
Oriental Chicken Salad Ingredients:
- 2 pounds of chicken tenders
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 Tablespoon of Baking Soda
- Garlic salt
- Seasoned pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage
- 1/2 small head of purple cabbage
- 2 Carrots – shredded
- 2 Green onions – cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- 1 cup of Chow Mein noodles
Oriental Salad Dressing:
- 1 cup of miracle whip – OR mayonnaise (if you want it less tangy)
- 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons of oil
- 2 Tablespoons of honey (plus a little more if you prefer the dressing sweeter)
Oriental Chicken Salad Preparation:
1. In a medium bowl, add the flour and baking soda, and stir well to blend. In another bowl, add the egg, and milk, and whisk together until completely blended. Turn on the deep fryer (I used the Fry Daddy – Grand-Daddy Deep Fryer) and heat the oil, according to deep fryer directions.
2. Sprinkle the chicken with garlic salt and seasoned pepper, and dredge chicken in flour, then dip in egg mixture, and back in flour. When oil is heated, drop chicken a few strips at a time, and fry for 10-12 minutes, or until Golden Brown, and completely cooked. Repeat until all chicken is fried. Remove from fryer, to paper towels to drain.
3. Chop the green cabbage, the purple cabbage, and the romaine lettuce, and rinse/wash at least 2 times in a large bowl, and drain in a colander, or place in the salad spinner, and spin several times to drain water from lettuce/cabbage. Peel the carrots, and shred on a grater. Clean the green onions, and slice into thin slices. Place all chopped/sliced vegetables in the refrigerator.
4. In a cruet, or dressing bottle, add the Miracle Whip, rice wine vinegar, oil, and honey, and shake well to blend. Place in the refrigerator.
5. When ready to serve the salad, place the fried chicken on a cutting board, and slice into bite size pieces. In a large salad bowl, place the lettuce, green cabbage, purple cabbage, carrots, sliced almonds, and toss altogether to mix. Drizzle the dressing over the oriental salad, and toss to blend. Place salad on dinner plates, and top with chow mein noodles, sliced green onions, and several slices of fried chicken. Serve, and Enjoy!
Tips for making ahead and storage:
- Storing salad: This salad is best enjoyed the day you made it but if you want to store it, its good for up to 3 days. I place the salad, chicken and noodles and dressing in 4 separate air tight containers to help preserve all the textures and flavors for enjoying later.
- Making salad ahead: Just as described above, you can prepare all the different components to enjoy the salad later for dinner or possibly a gathering.
Copycat Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad
Delicious crispy chicken salad with asian dressing
- 2 lb Chicken tenders
- 2 cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 heads Romaine Lettuce
- 1/2 head Green Cabbage
- 1/2 head Purple Cabbage
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- 2 Green Onions, cliced
- 1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
- 1 cup Chow Mein Noodles
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- Garlic, Pepper; to taste
1. In a medium bowl, add the Flour and Baking Soda, and stir well to blend. In another bowl, add the Egg,and Milk, and whisk together until completely blended.
2. Turn on a Deep Fryer and heat Oil. Sprinkle the Chicken with Garlic Salt and Seasoned Pepper, and dredge Chicken in Flour, then dip in Egg mixture, and back in Flour. When Oil is heated, drop Chicken a few strips at a time, and Fry for 10 to 12 minutes. Repeat until all Chicken is fried. Remove from Fryer, to paper towels to drain.
3. Chop the Green Cabbage, the Purple Cabbage, and the Romaine Lettuce, rinse in colander or use Salad Spinner.
4. Peel the Carrots, and Shred on a grater. Clean the Green Onions, and slice into thin slices. Place all chopped/sliced Vegetables in the Refrigerator.
1. In a cruet, or dressing bottle, add the Miracle Whip, Rice Wine Vinegar, Oil, and Honey, and shake well to blend.
2.Drizzle the dressing over the Salad, and toss to blend. Place Salad on dinner plates, and top with Chow Mein Noodles, Sliced Green Onions, and several slices of Fried Chicken. Serve, and Enjoy!
This Copycat Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad will satisfy you all year summer salad season ahead of time! I hope you enjoy this easy to prepare salad recipe. From my kitchen to yours! Dovidenia. XO
More salads you will enjoy:
Sign up today to receive the very best tips and tricks for the simple life!
Join our email list today for exclusive subscriber content and the very best from Stefanie!